Bluetooth mic too sensitive

Since updating to pulseaudio 10.0, both my Plantronics Legend and
BlueAnt Pump headsets microphones have become so sensitive that they
distort my voice to the point of making it unintelligible due to audio
clipping.

I noticed in the release notes that version 10 added separate volume
controls for the HSP and A2DP profiles.

Is this the source of the problem?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm using the "native" headset module, as in:

load-module module-bluetooth-discover headset=native

If anyone has pulseaudio verison 10.0 working well with a bluetooth
headset in the HSP profile, please post configuration details.

Thanks!