Sound not working

>I guess you may have something already hogging up the ALSA hardware devices before pulseaudio starts. Perhaps you installed >and activated jackd or some other audio system.
>

>When pulseaudio starts, it cannot find any free hardware ports to connect to and falls back to load a null audio sink.
>

>That's just a wild guess, but there are a bazillion of possibilities why it fails, so I don't have any insights to share with you.
Well, you know more than me.? First question: can I assume? this is causing me to not be able to play sounds?? If this the right direction for me to look?

I don't know what jackd is and there is no file named jackd on my entire system.

Second question: how would I learn why it can't find free hardware ports?? Is there a log file somewhere that tells me what is hogging the ALSA hardware devices, whatever they are?

What do I read?? What would you do next if this was your system?