Sound not working

My PC is 64-bit CentOS 6.4 Linux and I'm trying to get sound working.? When I play a .wav file with paplay, no sounds happen.? If I try 'cat /dev/urandom | pacat' no sound happens.? I'm using the sound jacks on the systemboard (I have no separate sound card).? I know they work because when I boot into Windows, it plays sound okay.? I know pulseaudio is running because I see the process when I run 'ps aux | grep pulseaudio'.

I tried following the instructions at http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/Users/Troubleshooting/ but could not get any further because my machine doesn't have 'pavucontrol'.

If I try to play an mp3 file with "mplayer -ao alsa:device:hw=0 file.mp3" it complains.
??? [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
??? [AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Permission denied
??? Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa:device=hw=0'
??? Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.

I don't know what to do.? I'm new to pulseaudio, so I'm sorry if I'm asking dumb questions.? I only want to do simple things (like play a movie with mplayer) so hopefully I can get it working.? Can someone help me figure this out?? Thank you.

Here are some other random command I tried, and their error messages (NOTE: these errors might occur because pulseaudio is already running):

> pulseaudio?
??? E: socket-server.c: bind(): Address already in use
??? E: module.c: Failed to load? module "module-esound-protocol-unix" (argument: "")
??? E: main.c: Module load failed.
??? E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

> pulseaudio --daemonize
??? E: main.c: Daemon startup failed.
> pulseaudio -nC
W: main.c: D-Bus name org.pulseaudio.Server already taken. Weird shit!
Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.