no output from pulseaudio on embedded arm platform

Hello,

> You were right, specifying correct default-sample-rate in daemon.conf helped.
> I can now play sounds with paplay. Alternate-sample-rate is not a valid
> settings for my version of pulse audio.

alternate-sample-rate is post-1.1 I think (and I did not get it to work)

> After accessing pulseaudio deamon (with paplay for example) it shutdown by
> itself with some timeout saying:
> I: [pulseaudio] core.c: We are idle, quitting...

I think this is intended behaviour
see pulseaudio --exit-idle-time=SECS

or check /etc/pulse/daemon.conf:
; allow-exit = yes
; exit-idle-time = 20

on an embedded system, I'd rather use --system

> I have also tried to run pulseaudio with --system parameter. It does not work
> for me with following error.
> E: [pulseaudio] shm.c: mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
> E: [pulseaudio] core.c: pa_mempool_new() failed.
> E: [pulseaudio] main.c: pa_core_new() failed.

PulseAudio tries to allocate 64MB per default I think, maybe too much; can
be configured...

regards, p.

--

Peter Meerwald