Auto-switching to and from HDMI ports (audio)

On Fri, 2012-03-16 at 02:48 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
> As I see it we have a couple of options.
>
>   * no auto switching between HDMI and analog outputs at all. This is
> probably the simplest option. But maybe this is not the most user
> friendly option?
>
>   * full switching. This requires not only profile switching on plug and
> unplug, but also switching between cards, i e moving streams between
> cards, and updating the default sink. More work, but definitely doable.
> I get the feeling that we want to avoid updating the default sink when
> it's not a direct user action though?

I guess you are more familiar with the use cases, but wouldn't it be
common to attach a monitor without wanting to use the monitor's audio
output? If that's the case, I think auto-switching isn't really a good
idea.

If you are going to do the auto-switching anyway, I think the default
sink should be changed too. Behaving differently with existing and
not-yet-existing streams doesn't make sense to me.

>   * switching only if the HDMI outputs are on the same card as the
> analog output. This is also simple to achieve, but might be confusing
> for users and support engineers?
>
>   * switching from HDMI but never to HDMI: assuming we're not certain
> that the user wants to use HDMI audio just because (s)he plugged it in,
> we could quite safely assume that (s)he does not want to use an
> unplugged HDMI cable. However, if we want to do this consistently, we
> still suffer from having to set the default sink.
>
> What do you think?

For what it's worth (I'm not a usability expert), to me the last option
sounds the best policy, with default sink updating.

--
Tanu