question FIFO

Hi,

On an Ubuntu 11.10 system (using Gnome), I've copied the default.pa file to my home dir
and the only change I've made to it is uncommented the line

load-module module-pipe-sink

I then logged in remotely using a GUI (xrdp) and I verified that

1) a 2nd PA server has been auto started
2) fifo_output and fifo_output.monitor have been created
3) in sound preferences, fifo_output is the default audio out device

When I try to play an audio file using Totem Movie Player, it just waits,
presumably for someone to read from the FIFO? If this is the case, this is
exactly what I want.

My question is how do I read from the FIFO?

pacat -d fifo_output does not work
parec -d fifo_output.monitor does not work

I must be doing something wrong, but what?

thanks for your help.
L.K