Power management question

Hey folks,
I've been looking at a weird problem today. When making a voip call, I
was getting a ton of stutters because of Empathy continually getting
underruns. Except when the AC power is plugged in on my laptop.

So literally, I make a call with AC power plugged in, all is well. Then
I unplug the cable and the stream starts getting continuous underruns
and stuttering. I plug power back, and voila, all is right in the world
again!

Anyone know if ALSA does more aggressive PM on battery or some such?

Cheers,
Arun

p.s.: FWIW, I'm running a MacBook Pro with a Cirrus Logic CS4206 codec.