Accessing audio as root

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> I have discussed this with Kay now and he'd very much prefer to do
> this with a proper "idle" session that some tool (maybe some wrapper
> around the speakup daemon) registers in CK, instead of patching
> udev-acl.
>
> That should allow us to do without CK and udev-acl patches and allows
> non-a11y setups to stay unmodified.

Just double checking that I understand correctly...

I still need to modify speechd-up and espeakup to deal with the sound
card rights coming and going, and that if I do just this alone, I
should be able to get speakup working whenever a user is logged in.
This discussion of the "idle" session is simply about how to generate
sound for login prompts on the console, correct?  This would in theory
allow a gdm or speakup session to own an instance of PA that hangs
around rather than exiting, without locking access to the sound card
as it does now if the speakup driver doesn't exit (and it doesn't).

I could be wrong, but today I don't think CK follows what happens on
the console in Ubuntu Karmic.  Anything I do there seems to have no
effect on access rights.  Does this mean we also need to modify the
console login program to create a user session?

Thanks,
Bill