Does pulseaudio require alsa/oss

Hi,

Dumb question maybe, but..

Does pulseaudio require alsa or oss to be configured to detect a soundcard or should it detect the soundcard without either alsa or oss configured?

The reason I ask is that the pulseaudio udev module will not detect the soundcard on my dell latitude D430 with/without alsa configured, but module-detect will detect the soundcard as long as alsa is configured.

John