3 cards, use all w/ PA AND one of them with skype too ...

'Twas brillig, and Chris Joelly at 27/09/09 11:12 did gyre and gimble:
> The problems i have is with the input of the headset and getting it
> running with skype. I thought i could use .asoundrc to redirect all alsa
> based applications to pulse, but that only works for output ...
> .asoundrc:
> pcm.!default {
>     type pulse
> 	}
>
> ctl.!default {
> 	type pulse
> }

That should work fine for input too.

> So, how can i tell alsa/pulse to let the mic of the headset be used from
> within alsa based applications?

You've got it right already!

But just use the latest beta of skype as it supports PA directly now
(\o/). I've even got mine setup so that if I'm on a call and I turn on
my BT headset it switches over correctly!

Make sure you untick the box in the audio preferences in v2.1.0.47 to
"let skype adjust your volumes" (or words to that effect) as there is a
bug in the current implementation (it's fixed in their code now but it's
not bubbled through to the surface yet).

Cheers

Col

--

Colin Guthrie