volume-independence on secondary output devices

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 11:36 -0500, Jud Craft wrote:
> > Under 'Output Devices', each output has three icons on the top right of
> > its 'box'. The first from the left is the mute icon, the second is the
> > lock icon (looks like a shield) the third which is a green circle with a
> > white tick is the 'set as fallback' icon.
>
> I apologize, but now I'm lost.  Are we talking about the same user
> interface?  I see nothing like this in System > Preferences > Sound :
> Output.

Yep, that's the problem then. You need to look for something called (I
think) Pulseaudio Volume Control. To check if you have it, open a
terminal and try and run `pavucontrol`. If you don't have it, your
distro probably has it in the repos somewhere, install it. That's the
Right Way (tm) to adjust pulseaudio volumes, streams, and the like.