volume-independence on secondary output devices

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 10:37 -0500, Jud Craft wrote:
> > The main volume control (e.g. the applet in the system tray or the buttons
> > on your keyboard/laptop) will control whatever device is marked as "default"
> > or "fallback". If you tweak this, it will work with the appropriate device.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "fallback device".  Can you set that on
> the Output tab in gnome-sound-properties?  All I know is, changing my
> Output device from "Internal Audio" to "USB Audio" means volume
> control has no effect anymore.  Sorry to sound so clueless.

Under 'Output Devices', each output has three icons on the top right of
its 'box'. The first from the left is the mute icon, the second is the
lock icon (looks like a shield) the third which is a green circle with a
white tick is the 'set as fallback' icon.