Stability of PulseAudio on Ubuntu 9.04?

I had yet another PA crash, this time while trying to mute and unmute
sink-inputs:

Jun 28 17:06:38 mdsound pulseaudio[3058]: sink-input.c: Assertion
'tchunk.memblock' failed at pulsecore/sink-input.c:556, function
pa_sink_input_peek(). Aborting.

Basically, I cannot keep PA up and running under Ubuntu 9.04.  Moving a
sink-input around crashes PA.  Muting sink inputs crashes PA.  Basically,
anything you want to do from the command line has a very real chance of
killing PA.

I was running an unupdated Ubuntu 9.04 installation.  I have now done a
full update of all security and recommended updates, and I get the same
results.  It seems that I'm not the only person getting this type of
result (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/332667),
and I don't know what to do about this.

I know that PA is very sensitive to problems in ALSA, and that maybe these
crashes are not PA's direct fault.  But I can't seem to find anything that
points to anything other than PA...

Are there any suggestions on things I could try?  I started with Fedora
11, and it's CPU usage was *incredible*:  a single stream could not play
smoothly on a P4 1.6GHz machine.  Not much of a machine, but it couldn't
play a single MP3 stream?!?

Should I move to Windows?  :)

Any help, suggestions or comments would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Timothy J. Massey