volume limiter - is this possible in pulseaudio?

I don't know how to do this but one way could be

send all of pulseaudio's outputs to sox.  Sox applies the compander effect

 sox -q -t wav $WAV_PIPE  -t ao pulse compand 0.001,1
-inf,-inf,-25,-inf,-25,-15,0,-13 2 -90 .1

This command
1. drops all sound quieter than -25 db
2. sounds from -25db to 0 db  (max sound level) get squished down into the
range -15db to -13db.

there are lots of problems with this, though.  Sox keys its playback off the
first sample.  if any subsequent samples are at different rates, they'll
play faster and higher pitched, or slower and lower-pitched