PulseAudio and Network Audio Devices

Richi Plana wrote:
> I should probably add that a machine's audio resources only becomes
> available to others if 1) the firewall is inactive, and 2) it doesn't
> "require authentication". But again, it only appears fleetingly.
>
> So now I've 3 problems:
>
> 1) How do I reconfigure the firewall so that it will allow PA services?

You need to open port 5353/udp for avahi and port 4713/tcp for pulse.

> 2) How do PA sessions authenticate users?

See the options listed here:
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/Modules#module-native-protocol-unixtcp

You can use anon or IP based ACL. It can also use X11 based auth but
that's not always super handy.

> 3) How do I make the virtual device actual stick (instead of just
> disappearing like that)?

If this is 0.9.7 then I'm not really sure (as I wrote in my other mail),
but hopfully I misread and you're actually using the 0.9.8 from rawhide
and simply disabling the suspension of the device will work around it
and patching will fix it.

Col