Re: [ PATCH v2 1/1] dell smbios driver : Consider Alienware a valid OEM String

El mié, 07-10-2020 a las 22:38 +0200, Hans de Goede escribió:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/7/20 9:58 PM, Limonciello, Mario wrote:

Correct, plus the top of dmidecode output, declaring SMBIOS present.

# dmidecode 3.2
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.2.0 present.
Table at 0x848B6000.

> As Pali mentioned in another mail, you probably should
> be looking at the dell-laptop code, which also has a
> has a DMI string check and which uses the dell-smbios code,
> another consumer of the dell-smbios code is the dell-wmi
> driver.
>
> If neither of those drivers add additional functionality
> (e.g. extra hotkey events, being able the control the kbd
> backlight), then the right fix might be to silence the
> error you see being thrown by dell-smbios-base.c, rather
> then allowing it to load.

dell-laptop doesn't even load as is ('No such device')

However, adding an entry in dell_device_table, based on dmidecode
output (Vendor: Alienware, Type: 10), allows it to load.

But I don't know how to test for any of this additional functionality.

What should I look for?

If any is found, would do a v3.

dell|alienware lsmod output, if that helps:

$ sudo lsmod | egrep "(dell|alienware)"
dell_laptop            28672  0
dell_rbtn              20480  0
dell_rbu               20480  0
dell_wmi               20480  0
dell_smo8800           20480  0
dell_smbios            32768  2 dell_wmi,dell_laptop
dell_smm_hwmon         24576  0
ledtrig_audio          16384  3
snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_sof,dell_laptop
dcdbas                 20480  1 dell_smbios
alienware_wmi          20480  0
dell_wmi_descriptor    20480  2 dell_wmi,dell_smbios
rfkill                 28672  11
bluetooth,dell_laptop,dell_rbtn,cfg80211
sparse_keymap          16384  2 intel_hid,dell_wmi
wmi                    36864  7
intel_wmi_thunderbolt,alienware_wmi,dell_wmi,wmi_bmof,dell_smbios,dell_
wmi_descriptor,mxm_wmi
video                  53248  3 dell_wmi,dell_laptop,i915
dell|alienware lsmod output, if that helps:

> For now I'll drop your patch from my review-hans branch,
> as we first need to clear this up.
>
> > The SMI based backend you can check by using dcdbas.
> >
> > I had presumed from your patch that it actually worked.
> >
> > > [ 1275.987716] dell_smm_hwmon: not running on a supported Dell
> > > system.
> > > [ 1275.987734] dell_smm_hwmon: vendor=Alienware, model=Alienware
> > > Area-
> > > 51m R2, version=1.3.0
> > >

> > > dell_smm_hwmon ignore_dmi=1
> > >
> > > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmonX/pwm{1,3} access correctly the left and
> > > right
> > > fan, respectively
>
> Ok, so that looks good and fixing the DMI check there probably
> makes sense. Note that this code is independent from the
> dell-smbios code from drivers/platform/x86 so you can
> do another patch to fix the DMI check there independent of the
> dell-smbios discussion.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

Regards,      Gerardo