Re: [External] Re: RFC: offering a standardized (/sys/class) userspace API for selecting system/laptop performance-profiles

On Mon, 2020-09-21 at 11:03 +0200, Elia Devito wrote:
> [SNIP]
>
> For gaming purpose when the CPU and GPU share the thermal budget, in this case
> the best solution is to set thermal profile to performance to maximize the heat
> dissipation and the p-state profile to powersave, in this way during loadings
> the cpu gain a performance boost that allow to reduce loading time, instead,
> during gameplay the cpu performance will be limited in favor of the GPU
> allowing the maximum framerate to be reached.
> (feral had to handle it for its gamemode tool:
> https://github.com/FeralInteractive/gamemode/pull/179)

So I think that trying to put the CPU into a power-efficient state does
make sense. But, it is also a more generic issue.

It reminds me of the LPC talk
  "Improving CPU energy efficiency during i/o bottlenecks"
  https://youtu.be/hJa3YMgEu3M?t=8852
The point is, that what we really want here is to run in the most power
efficient state that gets the job done reliably[1]. It doesn't matter
which exact state it is, all that matters is that applications are
happy with regard to the latencies they see.

In other words, I think the problem here really is power-optimizing
long running tasks that wake up regularly but don't need that much CPU
time overall.

> Another opposed particular case could be thermal profile set to quiet and
> p-state set to performance, usefull for example to maximizze cpu performance
> in silent ambient room like a library, obviously for CPU-only intesive tasks
> the best solution is to set either thermal and performance profile to
> performance.

Yeah, I have been wondering about that. If you need to meet a certain
power budget (due to thermal limits), then you want to first increase
the power efficiency before doing idle injection (i.e. intel_pstate vs.
intel_powerclamp). But, it seems to me that RAPL already achieves the
best possible behaviour without any need for further interaction. So
setting "performance" in the library should result in a high peak
performance if you have a "bursty" load while also giving optimal
results for long running tasks.

Benjamin

[1] Of course, there are more complexities as to which job is actually
relevant. It would for example make sense to inhibit/slow down
background tasks to prevent them from cutting into the power budget of
the running game. It isn't an easy problem, but should be solvable
using cgroups.