Re: [External] Re: RFC: offering a standardized (/sys/class) userspace API for selecting system/laptop performance-profiles

On Thu, 2020-09-17 at 13:16 -0400, Mark Pearson wrote:
> > As I understand the problem with the configured and actual
> > value/performance_level ideas is that if I understand things correctly
> > that H* is not the same as M,
> > it behaves close-ish to M because of the lower thermal-limits from
> > lapmode, but if I understood Benjamin correctly is is not exactly the
> > same, so if we were
> > to advertise "M" in the actual_performance_level sysfs-attribute then
> > that would not really be correct ?
>
> Just a small clarification - in our case High performance is only for
> deskmode. It drops to Medium in lapmode.
> Medium mode is slightly different in power rating between lap and desk
> mode (e.g on X1Carbon 14.5W on lap, 15W on desk). I haven't really
> worried about this in my patch implementation - it's still "medium"

Hmm, what I saw on the X1 Carbon 7th Gen was that putting it into
performance mode (H) increases the fan speed. And I believe that this
was also the case while it was in lap mode.

Specifically, I believe I observed that changing dytc_perfmode from M
to H caused the fan to turn on (and vice versa). So while CPU power
limits are very similar, there still seems to be differences in the
active cooling behaviour.

Benjamin