Re: RFC: offering a standardized (/sys/class) userspace API for selecting system/laptop performance-profiles

Hi,

On 9/17/20 3:02 PM, Barnabás Pőcze wrote:
Hi

2020. szeptember 17., csütörtök 13:22 keltezéssel, Hans de Goede írta:

[...]
I guess we should also add an optional lap_mode sysfs attribute
to the class-device, to have all the info for the Thinkpads in
one place.
[...]

Excuse my ignorance, but why does "lap_mode" need to be here?
I understand the implications of it regarding performance, but
I think it would be more sense to export it via the hwmon (or
something similar) subsystem? What am I missing?

Well hwmon has very clearly defined sensor types, like voltage,
fan-speed and temperature. lap_mode does not match any of them.

Also registering another-type class device just for the lap_mode
boolean seems overkill, esp. since lap_mode is inherently coupled
to the performance-profile stuff.

Regards,

Hans