Re: dell_smbios in 4.15 and keyboard backlight

On February 24, 2018 3:00:24 PM PST, "Pali Rohár" <pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>And what would happen for existing configs which do not have
>CONFIG_DELL_LAPTOP_EXTRAS yet, but have set e.g. CONFIG_DELL_LAPTOP set
>to Y?
>
>I think we should not break existing distribution configs which already
>have CONFIG_DELL_LAPTOP set to Y or M.

We have to be able to change *something*. There is no stable CONFIG commitment, and it changes significantly with every release. This makes it much easier for them to get it right going forward. Having been in the distro config business myself, I see this as a very worthwhile trade-off.