RE: dell_smbios in 4.15 and keyboard backlight

Yes.

> > > Can it be the Dell model, that survives w/o one of above or even
> > > both?
> >
> > The design as it exists to day is that dell-laptop needs dell-smbios
> > but
> > dell-smbios won't run unless it has a backend selected.
>
> How was it before?

The code that's in dell-smbios-smm used to be directly in dell-smbios.
It was split into backend approach so that you can choose that or choose
WMI backend or both.

For a true transition to how things were pre-4.15 it should have been
that CONFIG_DELL_SMBIOS selected CONFIG_DELL_SMBIOS_SMM.

You would have had an identical experience then after upgrade.