acer-wmi doesn't work with new Acer Aspire ES 15 models

I just bought a few new Acer Aspire ES 15 laptops of two different models. Both models are ES1-521-* and I found a posting of someone else having the same problem with a similar model number.

For searching purposes, the exact model numbers are:
ES1-521-46IE
ES1-521-82FG
ES1-521-88R9 (from https://ubuntu-mate.community forums)

The issue is that if the acer-wmi module is loaded, the wifi rfkill is hard blocked. Also, none of the keys that the module claims to provide do anything. E.g. the wifi toggle and screen switch keys don't actually send a key press or do anything else. If I blacklist the module, then the wifi works fine (and the keys still don't have any effect).

I will have access to these laptops for the next week and intermittently after that if there's anything I could do to help solve this.