Re: Dell Vostro V131 hotkeys revisited

> > > Now as for actually simulating a keypress, it can be programmed using
> > > the following calling interface (on receiving the e025 WMI notification).
> > > To actually simulate the keypress:
> > > Arg1=0x41
> > > Arg2 Byte [1:0]: Scan code to simulate
> > > Byte [3:2]
> > > * Bit0 - L Alt
> > > * Bit1 - R Alt
> > > * Bit2 - L Ctrl
> > > * Bit3 - R Ctrl
> > > * Bit4 - L Shift
> > > * Bit5 - R shift
> > > * Bit6 - L Win
> > > * Bit7 - R Win
> > > * Bit8 - Fn key
> >
> > And is it possible to disable keypress simulation on systems that have
> > that capability?
> >
> > My understanding is that all hardware equipped with an Instant Launch
> > button is capable of generating a WMI event upon its press, but not all
> > models can generate a keypress at the same time, correct? If that's the
> > case, then the arguably cleanest solution would be to change the keymap
> > entry for event 0xe025 in dell-wmi.c to KE_KEY and ensure (probably in
> > dell-laptop.c) no i8042 interrupt is raised when the Instant Launch
> > button is pressed. Though that would still leave us with the question of
> > how to determine (ideally without side effects) whether a given model
> > needs disabling keypress simulation. I imagine the pseudocode would be
> > like:
> >
> >     if (ec_can_simulate_keypresses)
> >         disable_keypress_simulation();
> >     else
> >         enable_wmi_event_generation();
> >
> > If disabling keypress simulation is not possible, dell-wmi.c has to
> > somehow determine whether a 0xe025 WMI event should be ignored or not.
> >
> > Am I making any sense here?

As the holiday season is coming to an end, I'm taking my last shot at
reviving this thread. Could anyone please tell us:

  * Is there a way to determine whether the EC is capable of simulating
    keypresses without the side effects that the SMBIOS call 4, 11 with
    argument 64 causes on certain hardware (e.g. disabling keyboard
    backlight on an E6440)? Or is there perhaps a well-defined list of
    machines that SMBIOS call is (un)safe on?

  * Is it possible to disable keypress simulation on machines on which
    the EC supports it? If so, how would one do that?

Thanks!

--
Best regards,
Michał Kępień