Re: Dell Vostro V131 hotkeys revisited

On Thursday 02 July 2015 22:41:22 Michał Kępień wrote:
> > Yes, I'm still thinking about some missing init call.
>
> I finally figured it out and we were right - to enable event
> reporting via WMI, a WMI method call with a specially crafted buffer
> passed as an argument is needed. (Though the SMI lead was correct as
> the WMI method generates an SMI calling a BIOS function specified in
> the buffer passed.)

Nice :-) Can you write which WMI call needs to be called?

> I'll be happy to prepare a patch, though I'll appreciate some
> guidance in two areas:
>
>  1) The GUID, buffer format and the function to use (DELL_APP_GUID,
>     struct app_wmi_args and dell_wmi_perform_query(), respectively)
> are already defined in drivers/leds/dell-led.c. However, the call to
> be made is obviously not related to LEDs, but rather to WMI hotkeys,
> which are handled in drivers/platform/x86/dell-wmi.c. Also, the call
> should only be made on a Vostro V131 and DMI-based filtering is done
> in yet another file, drivers/platform/x86/dell-laptop.c. Where
> should the fix be placed?

Last time when I looked into dell-led.c code it called some WMI
functions which are just re-implementation of SMI based SMBIOS
functions. From information which I have that is just WMI interface for
dell SMBIOS one.

I already asked Alex and other people for official ACPI/WMI Dell
documentation, so we would be able to solve these hotkey problems once
and for all, but I did not get anything yet.

What I found on internet is just this one out-of-dated documentation:
http://vpsservice1.sampo.com.tw/sampo_update/document/jimmy/ACPI-WMI%20.pdf

I would suggest you to read it (it is not long) to see Dell WMI methods
are just ACPI "wrapper" around Dell SMBIOS (dcdbas.ko driver) used by
dell-laptop.ko.

>  2) Pressing hotkey #3 on a Dell Vostro V131 generates WMI event
> 0xe025, but no keycode. Apparently, Dell XPS L502X generates the
> same WMI event for a hotkey which also generates a keycode [1].
> What's the best way to solve this conflict?
>
> [1] commit f1566f0: "dell-wmi: Add keys for Dell XPS L502X"

Look at dell-wmi.c source code. Which event format is that? New one
(partially described in above PDF document) when dell_new_hk_type is
true? Or old one?

Can you please enable pr_debug() in dell-wmi.c and send dmesg output
from dell-wmi.ko (specially dell_wmi_notify)?

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx