Re: drivers/platform/x86/acer-wmi.c: Support for another Lenovo Ideapad S205

On 03/16/2012 07:09 AM, Vaclav Mocek wrote:
> On 03/14/2012 06:16 AM, Ike Panhc wrote:
>> Hi Vaclav,
>>
>> Could you try this just-merged patch and see if it fix your problem?
>>
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=commit;h=461e74377cfcfc2c0d6bbdfa8fc5fbc21b052c2a
> Hi Ike,
>
> tested, it doesn't work, basically it behaves as without your patch; my simple patch still works. If I understand correctly, you want to offload handling of rfkill to ideapad-laptop module. I will look into it during the weekend, any hint, what should I focus on? I am fairly new to this subsystem, it is quite complex and most of time I am spending studying how things work, which is nice, but it doesn't lead to immediate results.
>
> BR
>
> Vaclav M.
> --

What kernel version you use? Checked wiki and it might be 3.1 or 3.2.6. For 3.1 based kernel, you shall also backport this commit

  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=commit;h=1709adab0773616da7a8190f2762e599afb0a295

If this patch works properly, you shall see no 'acer-wireless' in `rfkill list` and you can unblock other rfkill for wifi. Then you shall be able to use your wireless.

If all rfkill is unblocked but you still can not use your wifi. Please post dmidecode here, I think, then, a possible approach is to consider to use DMI_PRODUCT_VERSION or add another DMI_PRODUCT_NAME in quirk.