Re: How to read time stamp from HPET timer from device driver?

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 09:34:50PM +0800, Samuel Xu wrote:
> Hi, Cascardo:
> Thanks for reply! I just want to get the guide on some sample code of
> HPET usage invoked from kernel mode driver.
> Any directly guide?
> Thanks!

You asked if this is the right API. And the answer depends on what do
you want to use it for.

Do you want to count CPU cycles for the purpose of performance analysis?
Take a look at perf!

Do you need to keep track of time to communicate with some
soft-real-time device (like audio devices)? Use hrtimers.

Do you want a piece of software that only works on PCs that have HPET
device available without any given reason? I can't help you more than
pointing you to Documentation/timers/hpet.txt, which does not point to
an API. So you are better off reading source code. hpet_readl is not
exported. Try 'grep EXPORT arch/x86/kernel/hpet.c'.

Regards,
Cascardo.