How to read time stamp from HPET timer from device driver?

HI:
I am a freshman for HPET timer. Previously, I use TSC counter, to use
rdtsc to get the time stamp. elapsed cycle can be counter from 2 time
stamps.
As a advanced replacement of TSC, I suppose HPET timer can be
conveniently to read time stamp from both kernel mode user  and user
mode apps.
While I failed to find a way to get time stamp value of HPET in Linux
kenerl (I am doing a driver and want to know elapsed cycle from driver
code).

Anyone can help me?

Thanks!

Samuel