Programmatically make and receive calls using PJSIP via a PBX?

Hello,

I am trying to use the PJSUA binary to register with a SIP PBX (that uses
SIP over TCP), and I try this (compiled correctly in Linux 3.x/64 bit):

${pjproject-2.4.5-home}/pjsip-apps/bin$ ./pjsua-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
--id sip:extension@<PublicIPAddressOFPBX> --registrar
sip:<PublicIPAddressOFPBX>;transport=tcp --realm * --username silly
--password sillerpassword

And when I see the logs, it still tries to connect at the UDP port of the
PBX:

pjsua_core.c  .TX 557 bytes Request msg REGISTER/cseq=27042 (tdta0xdc86a0)
to UDP <PublicIPAddressOFPBX>:5060:

However, at least, I see that PJSUA doesn't crash; it lands me at the
pretty ASCII prompt that gives me the various options but mentions I am
unregistered.

As a result, I am not able to register with the PBX.

I pointed to another PBX which does UDP based SIP and then tried this:

${pjproject-2.4.5-home}/pjsip-apps/bin$ ./pjsua-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
--id sip:extension@<PublicIPAddressOfUDPPBX> --registrar
sip:<PublicIPAddressOfUDPPBX> --realm * --username silly --password
sillerpassword

Which doesn't work due to

pjsua_app_conf  Invalid SIP URI pjsystest-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

In this case, however, no pretty ASCII prompt, and my pjsua program exits
out completely.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I am using the instructions in
http://www.pjsip.org/pjsua.htm

Very confusingly, I tried the TCP based method (using ;transport=tcp) with
the UDP client, and that looked like it was trying to register, but didn't
respond to the (correct) 401 Unauthorized (and landed me on the pretty
ASCII prompt. At that point, I did

>> rr --id sip:extension@<PublicIPAddressOfUDPPBX> --registrar
sip:<PublicIPAddressOfUDPPBX>;transport=tcp --realm * --username silly
--password sillerpassword

And this seems to have worked (status on pjsip show endpoints on PBX).

Is there a less clunkier way of doing all of this? The pjsua app certainly
looks broken to me. Is it? If so, are there any alternatives?

Thanks,
Sonny.