How to add a custom authentication scheme?

The pjsip dev guide[1] mentions that the auth framework can be
extended to add a custom auth framework, but doesn't elaborate on how
it can be achieved.

For our purpose, we'd like to just work with http basic authentication
(I know that the SIP RFC disallows it, but since for our purpose we'd
always use TLS, basic auth works).

Does pjsip already support basic auth? If not, can someone guide me on
how we can extend the auth framework to support basic auth?

Thanks,
Chaitanya

1. http://www.pjsip.org/release/0.5.4/PJSIP-Dev-Guide.pdf