Understanding audio device configuration

Hello,

I could use some help getting a handle on capturing and playing audio using
pjsip on a raspberry pi with external usb sound device.

The problem is that after connecting to a conference I'm not able to hear
or speak from the raspberry pi.

My raspberrypi is configured with the following: Debian7.1, w/ alsa and
port audio installed. (I've uninstalled pulseaudio for these tests).
playing a wav file using the 'aplay' or 'play' console commands works. The
pjsystest command is also able to play a tone and record successfully.

I'm trying the following using the pjsua command:

./pjsua-armv6l-unknown-linux-gnu --realm=mysite.com --username=myuser
--password=mypassword sip:conference at mysite.com --id=sip:myuser at mysite.com
--capture-dev=-1 --playback-dev=-1 --play-file=sample.wav

This results in no sound and the wav file is not played.

Here's my device list:

Audio Device List
Found 9 devices
  0: PA [C-Media USB Audio Device: USB Audio (hw:0,0)] (1/2)
  1: PA [bcm2835 ALSA: bcm2835 ALSA (hw:1,0)] (0/2)
  2: PA [sysdefault] (128/128)
  3: PA [front] (0/2)
  4: PA [surround40] (0/2)
  5: PA [iec958] (0/2)
  6: PA [spdif] (1/2)
  7: PA [default] (128/128)
  8: PA [dmix] (0/2)

If I change --capture-dev and --playback-dev to 2 (sysdefault) or 7
(default) I hear sound for a moment, lots of cracking static, and then
nothing. No other value including (-1 or 0 - which I would expect to work)
produces any audio output. (The builtin sound device on a raspberry pi, 1,
is output only so I'm intentionally not using that).

I'm not seeing anything in the console output that explains what might be
happening.

Ultimately I'd like to use the python bindings, but in the meantime I'm
using the pjsua command just to get a base line.

Any thoughts?

-Matt