Audio issues with pjsip and ALSA?

Hey folks,
I'm having trouble getting sound to work right with ALSA and PJSIP on ARM.
I've compiled PJSIP w/ ALSA and pjsua and pjsystest run fine. I'm able to
see the audio devices in pjsystest and play the ringback tone through the
speakers. However when I run pjsua I can register and answer/make calls,
but there's no sound through the speakers and no sound on the remote client.

record and aplay are able to record and play files just fine, so ALSA
itself is working.

When I try to record in pjsystest I get the following error and a wave file
with no sound is produced:

Expression 'SetApproximateSampleRate( pcm, hwParams, sr )' failed in
'src/../../../portaudio/src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1294

Expression 'PaAlsaStreamComponent_InitialConfigure( &self->playback,
outParams, self->primeBuffers, hwParamsPlayback, &realSr )' failed in
'src/../../../portaudio/src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1873

Expression 'PaAlsaStream_Configure( stream, inputParameters,
outputParameters, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, &inputLatency,
&outputLatency, &hostBufferSizeMode )' failed in
'src/../../../portaudio/src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1994

17:29:32.207   conference.c  .Port 0 (A5SEVK:  (hw:0,0)) transmitting to
port 1 (PJSYSTEST_TESTREC.WAV)
Audio Recording

Also my source downloads of pjsip 2 doesn't contain the input.8.wav and
tock8.wav test wavs, so I can't test if the wav playback is working.
According to the docs they should be in tests/pjsua/wavs but that folder is
empty. I tried downloading 1.x and it was the same.

It seems like something is working, since the ringing tone plays, but I
don't know if the lack of sound coming through from the remote end is
because of sound issues or connection.

Anybody have any ideas how to test and debug the sound system, or know what
might be causing the error? Or perhaps know where the wav files went?

Thanks!
-H