pjsua or pjsip?

Fri, 26 Oct 2012 11:25:04 -0700 ?? Ted Pederson <ted.pederson at gmail.com>:
> I am just starting out. I want to build an app that will be pretty basic save for the fact that it won't be outputting the call to a device, I want to instead forward just the incoming packets to another machine.
>
> Can I do this using pjsua or will I need to delve into pjsip?
>
> I see proxy and output options for pjsua. Is this related to what I want to do?

Don't use pjsua. Use pjsip or even pjnath.  pjsua is designed for something like video-audio phone, something like skype.

If you just need to send some data from one host to another trough some NATs and Firewall, use PJNATH.
If you also need registration, i. e. some registration (i. e. SIP) server which will organize this data transfer, use PJSIP.

So: PJNATH for NAT traversal, PJSIP for NAT traversal with registration, PJSUA for something like skype.

Also, please look at this very simple, kick-start example: Icedemo http://www.pjsip.org/pjnath/docs/html/ice_demo_sample.htm . This example shows how to use PJNATH to transfer some data.

Also, note that use don't need to use PJSIP or any other ICE software if you have one host with global IP.   You forced to use PJSIP only in one case: all youe hosts have local IPs and placed in different networks and you want to transfer some data between them.   Moreover, even in this worst case I think there is better to use some hosting with global IP and use it as middle-host.

Also, I recommend you this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MWYw0fltr0 , which very clearly says about NAT traversal (i. e. STUN, TURN and ICE, which are implemented in PJNATH, PJSIP and PJSUA). I think this video is clear even to non-native English speakers.

Askar Safin