PJSUA customization

Hello Matt,

I'm using PSIP to derive an application using WebRTC (not like csipsimple,
which still uses PJMEDIA mixed with WebRTC components), and an alternative
transport for SIP and audio. What I can tell you is that it's not
straightforward to do such kind of customizations, but you don't have many
other options...

The most annoying part of any integration with PSIP in my opinion is that
you cannot mix threads directly; you need to register your threads with
PJSIP. Another unexpected complexity happens if you try to create an
alternative transport for the SIP protocol. The memory allocation using
pools seems to be a good thing in principle, but in the end you have to pay
the price. And you cannot create or destroy mutexes, threads and any other
"system" objects from PJSIP without initialize the library (for some
applications, where you have services running in the application, the
necessity of controlling the order of service deinitialization could be
unexpectedly complex). In the end you have a sum of several small things
you need to glue together in your application that makes huge
customizations a nightmare.

Summarizing, you'll have room for customization, but not at no cost.

Regards,
Guilherme Balena Versiani.