Measuring Voice Latency

Hi Tim,

Since latency depends on so many factors, audio drivers, buffers in media bridge, ptime, codec, transmission, jitter-buffers etc

The build in metrics from PJSUA dq command will give you statistics for jitter,  round trip time but this does not take ptime and buffer delay in audio drivers and media bridge into account.

Tto get a true feeling we usually do audio tests:

1.       Set up two  PJSUA clients  (or your real clients) with a MIC input on A and a speaker on B

2.       Have an external PC with a mic and some audio recording software e.g. audacity and start recording

3.       Start a call and try to make a sharp click noise

4.       Meassure latency in audacity

If you want to see contribution from audio driver  connect the speaker to A and use cc 0 0 in pjsua to loop back audio

If you want a full roundtrip measurement set B in loop back mode and connect a call and repeat as above.

You could also play around with jitter buffer parameters and jitter buffer mode, as well as audio driver latency.

Hope this helps a bit.

BR/Olle

Fr?n: pjsip [mailto:pjsip-bounces at lists.pjsip.org] F?r McLeod, Tim