overcome the sound device

Dear All,
    I trying to use pjsip with an ARM9 architecture with sound device
and co-processor for echo cancellation and a-law and u-law.

In order to use the co-processor features (echo, a-law, u-law) I see
different choices:

1) use audio driver and modify the Sound Device Port to use my echo lib
and pjmedia for the codecs;

2) work at the Audio device API abstraction level as for the APS and VAS;

3) work at the Sound Device port level implementing my own port with
get_frame and put_frame functions which provide echo cancelled PCM audio
frames to the conference bridge obtained through the co-processor lib I
have. Eventually I can the modify pjmedia perform u-law and a-law with
the coprocessor library;

This last solution appears the simplest but I am not sure about the
timings. Since the timings are defined by the audio device, how can I
make sure that the Conference bridge receives frames with a correct
cadence? Is it sufficent to make a blocking function "get_frame" which
for instance provides 160 samples each 20ms (at 8Khz)?

Thank you for the support.