alter the SDP (steve)

That's correct. There is a newer guide about the subject here:
https://trac.pjsip.org/repos/wiki/Media_Transport_Adapter. Quoting the
wiki:

 Media Transport Adapter is the primary mean to integrate RTP/RTCP
processing into the media flow, get full access to SDP, and be
involved in SDP negotiation.

?Benny