Detecting DTMF

Hi all, I've the following problem: I make an outbound call, when the other party answer the call I play a message, then the other party can dial a DTMF to repeat that message. My problem is that sometimes the detection of dtmf isn't correctly, that's that in some cases the application inform the detection of a DTMF that has never been pressed. I make a call from VOIP-PSTN, in that scenario is possible that the inband DTMF would be better than outbound (RFC2833) DTMF detection. Is true that RFC2833 only is useful when you make calls VOIP-VOIP?

thanks in advance
Jose