Passthrough codec and speex?

Hello,

I'm getting audio frames encoded by speex from some kind of audio
device. These frames have to be send over the network using a stream.
My idea was to extend the passthrough codec in passthrough.c for speex
audio frames.

But I'm puzzled by the concept of the passthrough codecs and the
corresponding use extended media frames (PJMEDIA_FRAME_TYPE_EXTENDED).

As I have seen  in speex_codec.c the speex codec uses
PJMEDIA_FRAME_TYPE_AUDIO for the audio frames at its encoding input.
But it uses the same type for the encoded frames, even if there are no
(linear) pcm audio data in them. The implemented passthrough codecs
for PCMU, PCMA, AMR etc. are expecting extended audio frames, so this
seems to be the way to go.

What is the best way to extend this concept for speex frames? There
are two ways: I could extend the existent passthrough codec. Then I
need to supply the frames as extended ones. The other possibility
would be to write a passthrough codec for speex only which expects
normal audio type frames as they are coming from the speex codec.

Is there any "best" way or am I completely lost?

Thanks,

Thomas