From: pjsip-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pjsip-bounces at lists.pjsip.org]
On Behalf Of Mukesh Sharma
Sent: den 13 maj 2010 11:52
To: pjsip list
Subject: Re: Voice Distorted on 2G iPhones

Hi BR/Olle,
quality on gprs/edge is not good is obvious.
what I have told is about iphone 2g over wifi.

Regards
Mukesh

On 13-May-2010, at 2:06 PM, Olle Frimanson wrote:

Hi Mukesh,

I think you should abandon the idea of using 2G for VoIP calls.

We have done significant testing on 2G networks and in principle is the best
effort QoS that GPRS/Edge provide just not good enough. Sometimes it works
but very often you will have high PL.

First is the delay very unpredictable from low 300 ms to high 2-3s
sometimes, secondly as mentions you must calculate that GPRS can some times
go down to just 8 kbit/s.

This is why the PoC (Push to Talk standard) in IMS uses AMR  with 8, 20 ms,
voice frames / packet.

If you can cope with the extra delay I think you should consider  using a
low bit rate codec and send multiple frames/Packet, like ptime=80 or 160 ms.

BR/Olle

  _____