symbian_ua_gui with TLS, VAS and G729 protocol via SRTP proxy

Hi Dmitry!

Dmitry SJ wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In general, the main problem with mobile networking is that you have a
> rather wide Inbound channel and very narrow Outbound channel. Thus, if
> at least one entity has wide narrowband (3G, WiFi connected), the other
> side have clean incoming audio. The tests of the mobile network are the
> following:
> 1st entity: 0,22Mbps incoming, 0,07Mbps outgoing.
> 2nd entity: 0,15Mbps incoming, 0,02Mbps outgoing.

20 Kbps is too less for G.729. 8kbps is the raw G.729 data, but due to
packetization overhead you need 50* (20 byte payload + 20+8+12
ip+udp+rtp header) = 24Kbps.

In this case you might get weird behavior: usually you do not have
packet loss on 2G/3G connections as you have retransmissions on layer 2,
thus if the uplink bandwidth is not sufficient the sending device will
queue the packets in its sending buffer until the buffer is full and
only then it will drop the packets. (I once had increasing delay up to
several seconds as the sending device had a big sending buffer and did
not dropped packets but queued them)

> 2. What could I check in configuration of pjmedia, pjsip in general and
> symbian_ua/_gui in particular to make it work on EDGE?

I do not think it is possible with only 20kbps uplink bandwidth. You
could try G.723.1 which I remember worked great in the early days of my
56k modem.

Anyway if you want to analyze the problem in more detail you could use
tcpdump to capture the (S)RTP packets on the media relay and then
perform in Wireshark an RTP stream analysis. Then you will see typical
time intervall between packets, jitter and packet loss. As SRTP does not
encrypt the RTP header the analysis should work well.

If you also want to listen to the stream you have to disable SRTP and
use RTP. Then you could listen to the audio (Wireshark does not support
G729 decoding directly, you have to do it manually as described on the
wiki: http://wiki.wireshark.org/HowToDecodeG729)

regards
Klaus