2 seconds of Initial jitter on 3g connection

Brad-

> I am experiencing 1-2 seconds of initial jitter when I make
> a on a 3g connection.
>
> My application is an iPhone application using pjsip 1.0.3
> compiled in conjunction with iPhone OS3.1.2.
>
> The initial jitter is only heard by the recipient I am
> calling from the iPhone application. After the 1-2 seconds
> the jitter clears up and the call sounds just fine.
>
> I have tried decreasing the codecs quality setting in
> order to drop the bandwidth intensity as well as using the
> jitter prefetch buffer. Both have had no effect.
>
> Was hoping that trying one of the more recent versions of
> pjsip might yield better results. At the moment I can get
> pjsip 1.5.5 to compile and connect calls on the iPhone,
> but can't get the audio to work.
>
> If anyone has some insight on the what might fix the
> initial 1-2 second jitter lag or getting pjsip 1.5.5 audio
> to work on the iphone please feel free to reply.

I don't know about pjsip, but one general suggestion would be to look for "adjustable" or "dynamic" jitter buffer
settings.  If enabled then the buffer size might auto-adjust until it becomes deep enough that underruns are not
occurring frequently.  There may be a way to disable this, or force a specific jitter buffer depth, say 3-5 packets
(assuming 10 msec packets).  I.e. so it always starts that way and doesn't adjust on its own.

This is just a guess.  Like I say, I don't know whether pjsip supports a dynamic jitter buffer.

-Jeff