Codecs

Jose-

> Hi all, I'm developing an Ip Dialer using PJSUA, and I've a doubt with codecs. I
> don't know wich codec is better to use. I think in G722 or G711, Which is the best?
> I'm making 50 calls at the same time, so I can have 50 messages playing
> simultaneously. Some people tell me that the best is G729 but it is licensed, but I
> want to use a free codec. Could you help me?
> And in case that I use G722 or G711 could you tell me how can I activate them in
> PJSUA-LIB? In config_site.h? G722 is in the third_party directory but G711 not. I
> must download it for another site?

A few comments:

1) G711 has highest voice quality.  What is your reason not to use it?  Bandwidth?
CPU resources?  Compatibility with your endpoints?

2) If you use a free codec, then who are you compatible with?  It might be nice to
use whatever you prefer, but reality is the world adheres to standards.

3) Low bitrate codecs (G729, G723, wireless codecs, etc) take more CPU time.  For 50
calls, this might be a factor depending on your platform.  As you might expect, a
mobile device with less horsepower would have more trouble with high call capacity
(or if it can do it, then battery life could become an issue).

-Jeff