outgoing call ringing, media stream not created in response to 180 Ringing

I'm developing an app and have access to two testing servers ... Using
one, I hear a ringing in outgoing calls, but using the second I don't.

The issue seems to be that one server responds with 183 Session Progress
while dialing, which prompts pjsip to create the media streams
immediately, and the second server responds with 180 Ringing, which
doesn't prompt pjsip to create the streams, and they don't get created
till the call is answered.

My main question is, what's the "proper" way to handle this?  Is there a
reason pjsip doesn't create the media streams in response to 180 Ringing?