Hearing second conversations

Hi friends,

Recently, i was trying to call to a PSTN number from my sip enabled hard
phone ,during the same process another guy in the same network was trying to
call from another
sip phone to a different PSTN phone .I was able to hear the conversation
from the other guy (but just from the sip-pstn direction not from pstn-sip
direction) while i was calling.
what could have caused this problem??is this a problem in the proxy server
or from sip side or in the PSTN network.

please,give an insight in this matter and what could be the possible
solutions to avert such problems in future.

thanks in advance!!!

john smith