pjsip right solution for comfort noise generation?

Philipp-

> I have some problems with devices making use of VAD. When connected to an
> asterisk server, comfort noise is not generated since asterisk does not
> support this. On the other hand it is not possible to disable VAD on the
> endpoints.
>
> My question is whether it is possible to utilize pjsip to parse the rtp
> stream from the endpoints, watch for the rtp-packet with the cng marker bit
> and add rtp packets with comfort noise until the endpoints start
> transmitting again while forwarding the parsed stream to the asterisk.
>
> In this case G711.u codec ist used.

If you're using basic G711 then there is no concept of comfort noise -- all RTP packets contain "sound" (voice, noise,
silence, tone, etc).

It's possible that your endpoints are using "G711 Appendix II" or other non-standard implementation that includes VAD
and CNG.  Do you know if that's the case?  If so, then you may want to re-think because G711 II implementations are
not common -- which could explain your compatibility issues with Asterisk.  If you need VAD/CNG to reduce bandwidth
then I might suggest using a popular / widely used codec (such as G729) that has supoprt for VAD/CNG.

-Jeff