Replacing the audio backend in pjsua

Hello,
I've been working with pjproject 1.0.x and want to upgrade to the latest version.
How can I replace the audio back-end in pjsua with my own using the new audio subsystem?
With the old version I configured pjproject with '--enable-ext-sound' and supplied rules
to build the audio back-end in user.mak.

As I understand it all available audio back-ends are hard-coded in audiodev.c (PORTAUDIO,
WMME, SYMB_VAS, SYMB_APS, and SYMB_MDA), and there is no way of dynamically add a new
audio driver. Or am I missing something?
Do I have to modify audiodev.c to get my own audio back-end in pjsua? I want to modify as
little code in pjproject as possible to ease maintenance.

Thanks,
Dan