pjnath interoperability problems

Miika,

first of all sorry for the late reply. Comments below.

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Miika Komu <miika.komu at hiit.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> PJNATH complies to ice-19 according to the documentation:
>
> http://www.pjsip.org/pjnath/docs/html/index.htm
>
>  "The implementation in PJNATH complies to draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-19.txt
> draft"
>
> However, PJNATH doesn't include username in STUN responses as instructed in
> the ICE specification:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-19#section-7.1.1.3
>
>  "A connectivity check from L to R (and its    response of course) utilize
> the username RFRAG:LFRAG and a password    of RPASS.  A connectivity check
> from R to L (and its response)    utilize the username LFRAG:RFRAG and a
> password of LPASS."

I think that particular statement is not precise indeed, but I still think
that my interpretation is correct.

First of all, STUN (RFC 5389) says:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5389#section-10.1.2

"   If these checks pass, the agent continues to process the request or
   indication.  Any response generated by a server MUST include the
   MESSAGE-INTEGRITY attribute, computed using the password utilized to
   authenticate the request.  The response MUST NOT contain the USERNAME
   attribute.
"

That is a very strong statement (the "MUST NOT") to not include USERNAME in
the response, and if any STUN usages (e.g. ICE) decide to violate this
(which I don't think is possible anyway), at least it must state it in a
equally strong statement and reasoning. I don't see anything like this in
ICE, so lacking this I see ICE uses the standard STUN authentication
mechanism.

So the way I interpret that (ICE) statement, especially the word "utilize",
is ICE uses the combination of username LFRAG:RFRAG and password LPASS when
computing the MESSAGE-INTEGRITY.

More over, it puts the word "username" there in lowercase. Normally one
would say USERNAME (in capital) to indicate STUN attribute.

So in conclusion, I don't think the statement that you quoted above says
that we should include USERNAME in the STUN response.

> We encountered also some other problems. For example, we are not convinced
> that the pjnath prioritization algorithm works correctly (at least in 0.8
> version), or, maybe we are just using ICE wrong.

I'd like to hear more about this. It would be good if you could also test
the latest version, since there are quite few modifications and fixes since
0.8 (0.8 is a year and half old!).

cheers
 Benny