Audio distortion in Linux

2009/3/27 Gang Liu <gangban.lau at gmail.com>

> We used a CMedia USB device as audio input device when we did resample test
> before.
>
> MP3 player ---- line connect -- > USB --- 44khz ---> pjmedia app(the same
> code as I published at google code)
>
> ---> PCMU stream ---> remote
>
> All at local LAN.
> We used wireshark to capture G.711 stream.
> And then compare this file again the orignal file and the 8khz file
> converted by audacity.
> It seems some high frequency was cut by pjmedia resampling. the quality not
> good as audacity resampling. If change to 8khz, don't do resample anymore,
> audio signal showed by audacity was OK. Also we tried Realtek HD audio
> input of dell desktop pc.

As I understand it, G.711 is not really a lossless compression codec, so
some signal will be lost. Also the above involves analog connectivity too.
So it's not a fair comparison IMO.

For apple to apple comparison of the resample, use wav to wav resampling
using pjsua method like I posted previously.

cheers
 Benny