possible bug: REGISTER and DNS SRV/DNS A, 407 proxy unauthorized

Pierre-Luc Bacon schrieb:
> I think that we are facing a dilemma here.
>
> Digressing the RFC would make PJSIP to work properly in this case (which
> might appear with a lot more VOIP providers doing load balancing).
>
> However, leaving it untouched makes the matter way more complex to deal
> with in the application. A possible workaround and maybe the only one I
> see, would be to resolve the host name initially, and use that IP from
> the moment the user launched the application to the end. Not so
> pretty ...
>
> I'm not familiar with SIP load balancing but should a "good" load
> balancer infrastructure be able to forward 407 challenges among
> themselves ? That way, a server which didn't send that challenge
> initially can answer back properly to that new REGISTER.

I think it really depends on the used software and configuration. E.g.
if you use openser, you can configure it to allow nonce_reuse. Then, the
nonce is calculated stateless in all openser instances identical and any
proxy acecpts a nonce which was generated by another proxy.

Probably if a SIP proxy calculates the nonce stateful and does not share
the nonce between the various proxies, it does not work.

regards
klaus