using sample applications - sound problem

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM, C R McClenaghan <chris at mcclenaghan.com>wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm working primarily on Mac OS X with Xcode and the Subversion trunk of
> pjproject (pjproject 1.0.1 -> 1.1). I'm not yet building any application,
> just verifying the tool chain and trying to understand pjsip's architecture.

That's wise indeed. :)

> While the sample application pjsua works well, simpleua and simple_pjsua do
> not. I cannot hear anything when I use the latter two to initiate a call. I
> can see that the registration and invites flow, but I cannot hear any
> ringing or audio playback.

Are you sure registration works? simpleua doesn't support registration,
while in simple_pjsua the account info is hard coded in the source code so
they won't work out of the box. I think correct registration is important in
your test since you're calling a provider, and I would suspect they will
require registration before people can use their services.

Alternatively, why not do simple local LAN tests, by setting up another
pjsua to stream WAV files or to echo the voice back to caller (see
--play-file/--auto-play and --auto-loop arguments).

> Since pjsua works in this regard, I assume that this is not a
> hardware/software platform issue. I'm simply calling an echo test at
> 613 at fwd.pulver.com. I've also tried this under ubuntu with similar
> results. I do see the following errors on Mac OS X:
>
> 13:06:19.196 sip_transport_  Error setting SO_RCVBUF: No buffer space
> available [120055]
> 13:06:19.196 sip_transport_  Error setting SO_SNDBUF: No buffer space
> available [120055]
>
> As I see this error with all three applications, I'm not sure it relates to
> the sound problem.

No that's for the SIP transport and it shouldn't have anything to do with
voice. By default we're setting the SIP socket transport to use very large
buffer size, for performance reason, and not all platforms support or like
this.

Am I mistaken about the use and purpose of these samples?

Not really (apart from registration). You should have audio with all three
samples.

cheers
 Benny